If you dream of becoming a fiction editor, we have a rare opportunity available.
Once a year, Scott Editorial offers an editorial training course (no charge) for 2 aspiring editors.
Upon completion (and passing), you will be hired as a junior editor. Further training will then be given for you to progress to editor.
Before you apply, please make sure you meet the criteria.
· English must be your first language.
· Avid reader—Must span more than 3 genres.
· Either has a degree in Creative Writing or has been published (indie, magazine or traditional). This is not a strict condition for enrollment. This can be bypassed if you can prove you have the skills without the qualification.
· Has time to learn. This can be completed on a part-time basis, but deadlines will be implemented.
· Superhuman attention to detail.
· A strong social media presence (book related) will be an advantage.
You will be trained by our founder, Amy Scott, and work closely with one of our published writers, Andrea James. Each applicant will be asked to complete a grammar and punctuation, and editing assignment before their application is reviewed by Amy.
Scott Editorial operates a ‘perfection only’ editing model, and you will only be offered a position once these standards are met. After the initial training, you will be closely monitored by Amy Scott and our senior editor, Natasha Rajendram.
Before applying, please be aware that this is an intensive training program and will only suit someone willing to commit to the editorial life.
If you believe there is an editor in you dying to get out, please send a short (2 paragraphs max) cover letter/pitch and a 200-word sample of your own writing to email@example.com.
Please stick to the submission guidelines and good luck.